WALK 'N' SNIFF: We Love Fall & Autumn Nights

So for those of y'all who don't know, I recently took a trip to England and Scotland with my bf and we just got back a few days ago. I had an absolutely amazing time but lord, my ass worn out!!!! Anyway today I felt like goin into the City so I thought I'd take a trip to B&BW; I DESPERATELY wanted to exchange Pumpkin Cinnamon Bun and especially Pumpkin Sugared Doughnuts. Plus I wanted to sniff stuff that wasn't in stores before I left for the UK..kill two birds with one stone y'know. So after doing my exchanges (the girl SA was new and didn't know how to do exchanges so another *very cute* guy SA helped; ordinarily I'd get annoyed but the  girl SA was adorable) and evading the very talkative and overly helpful floor SAs, I walked around and got my sniff on!

So let's talk about the "We Love Fall" candles. I'm not gonna waste my time and yours talkin about 
Leaves, Mahogany Teakwood, Sweater Weather and Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin cuz y'all already (should) know what they all smell like.

Autumn Sky
So at first I was very intrigued with this one; judging from the notes, it sounded very...."cologne-y"..which is right up my alley. I surmised and secretly hoped that it might be a repackage of an old Slatkin test scent called Mountain Leaves...I was wrong. Many people said that it reminded them of Sparkling Icicles. After really sniffing the 3wick today (I only got to smell a mini in the Coffret ages ago) I can see why people would think that....however, I have to disagree. In my humble opinion, it smells like Villa Bergamot/Bergamot Woods. A bit more citrusy/lemony but essentially smells exactly like ol VB. Why VB? Why not Mountain Leaves or Black Pepper Bergamot or Oakmoss and Vetiver or Forest Trail..or better yet, something completely NEW!!!

Green Apple Orchard
'scuse me for one quick second..... *PROJECTILE VOMITS ok, I'm back!
I first smelled this hot mess during the Fall Preview. It just smells...wrong! Just very artificial and chemical-y and plastic-y. Not even the slightest hint of apple. Just..wrong!

Pumpkin Apple
So PA made its debut last fall in the all pumpkin collection. I didn't care for it back then; it just smelled really waxy - like a melted apple cinnamon scented crayon. It seems like this year's version is a little improved, not as waxy smelling and a little heavier on the clove. I personally think the wf bulbs of this smells better, more blended. It's like Spiced Cider mixed with Pumpkin Carving   

Salted Caramel Corn
So there's not much to say about this one; it's basically Salty/Salted Caramel. No "corn" whatsoever. I don't really see the point of this scent, why add corn to name? To make it sound more autumnal? I dunno....

Tailgate
So I was super psyched when I heard that this was coming back. I had it last year (back in the good ol days when Garden State Plaza was still a test store and you could make phone orders..sigh) Anyhoo, I got a headsup from a Facebook friend and fellow BBW'er (shout out, you know who you are) that it was not the same Tailgate from last year and after smelling it, I can confirm...it definitely isn't. It's actually a repackage of an test scent from the Destination collection this past spring called Mad About Madrid. Tailgate smells exactly like it! I don't know why they changed it as that scent has NOTHING to do with football. At least the old Tailgate had leather and smelled outdoorsy, this new Tailgate just smells like straightup spicy cologne.

Trick or Treat
It's Summertime S'mores, plain and simple. Not much to say about it. Very odd choice for a Halloween themed candle, I would think something pumpkin-y or caramel-y or candy-ish would've made more sense. Oh well, whatever...


And now the "Autumn Nights" collection.I won't talk about Autumn cuz y'all all know what that smells. Or Fresh Balsam for the same reason (I don't know why B&BW persist on releasing this in the fall, it's WINTER scent for pissakes!) Or Marshmallow Fireside.


Autumn Nights

There has been much contension as to what this friggin candle smells like. There are those of us who fervently persist that it smells almost exactly Autumn Day and there are others who disagree and say that it smells like everything under sun but Autumn Day. I don't care what anyone says, I will go down swingin, I know what the hell I smell..and it's Autumn friggin Day!!! I don't smell any of the mentioned notes (applewood, cinnamon stick etc) just Autumn Day. It's less intense, more smoky and has just the tiniest bit of spice in the background...and not cinnamon and nutmeg like notes suggest. Touchthefiretwice said in his review that he smelled cardamom...I totally get that! Another reviewer, I don't remember who, said she thought as a whole AN smelled almost like incense...I can get that too. To me, it's Autumn Day but better, not as cologney smelling and intense; more toned down, more woodsy, a little smoky, and just bit spicy. Disregard the notes for last year's Autumn Day but rather the year before and especially the prior year when it was known as Acorn and Fig - the notes were fig, pear, apricot, birch and cedarwood....that's what I smell but with added woodiness/smokiness. Personally, this is my all time favorite new scent this fall!

Flannel
This SOB made it's debut last fall; I had last year... it was aiight but it wasn't too impressed. I think it became a runaway hit as B&BW brought it back this year (incidentally, my review of it has been one of the most viewed posts on this entire blog) Anyhoo, let's not beat around the bush..it's...."cologney", like a unisex cologne. To me, it kinda smells like a mix of Mahogany Teakwood and Villa Bergamot with...bare with me...a bit of Snowed In. There's an unexplained odd, sweet, sappy, resinous note that's very similar to the "sugared sap" note of Snowed In.

Harvest Gathering
Another scent that made it's debut last fall. Personally, I wasn't too big of a fan of then and I'm not now. It's just.. unnecessary. To me, it just smells like a generic Walmart/Target knockoff of Leaves; it just has that vibe to me. To me, it kinda smells like a mix of Leaves, last year's Blackberry Spice and a little of Pumpkin Carving. The notes just all smell muddled together and are fighting each other for supremacy. Personally, I think B&BW should've released Cranberry Woods instead of this crap.

Warm Caramel Cider
Much like Autumn Night, there's been heated debate as to what people think that this smells like. Personally (and many others agree) I think that it's a repackage of Cider Lane. However, there are those persist that it isn't and that it's new. I guess the heart wants what it wants..or rather the nose wants what it wants. Denial, in my opinion. There's no getting around, it's a repackage with a twist of Cider Lane. There is however a slight difference. Cider Lane had a very weird slightly offputting cold throw; there was some weirdness on cold throw that I could never get past..something almost sappy and maple syrup like. Warm Caramel Cider doesn't have that; it smells exactly the way it sounds. If you've ever smelled the Cider Lane wf bulb, that's what this candle smells like.




Comments

  1. Autumn Nights is the candle with the blue wax isn't it? If so, this is the one that I kept coming back to. I cant remember what it smelled like now, but it was glued to my nose the last time I was in B&BW!

    Now, after your review (we generally like the same types of scents) I will be sure to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be it. It's an intriguing scent isn't it? Hurry up and get it while it's still 2/22

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles