THAT'S SO TEST SCENT: Tailgate



Products: candle
Area used in: bedroom
Time Period: mid-September - November

Description: Capture all the fun of tailgating on a fall afternoon in a blend of rich hickory, football leather and a touch of moss



When I heard about this candle months ago, I knew that I had to have it. I hoped/wished/prayed that it would go wide, but I had a sneaky suspicion that it wouldn't; it was far too unique and ....cologne-y. Sure enough, it didn't go wide and it disappeared into obscurity...and no one was more disappointed than I. But I still wanted it so badly! So one day I decided to steel my nerves and call around to a couple of test stores to see if any of them had it. Sure enough, Paramus still had it in stock. With that said, Tailgate has the honor of being my very first (and probably last) test store phone order.

After sniffing it, I did really like it. However I could understand why it didn't go wide. It's not funky or anything but it's far from breathtaking. It's very different and unique, in a good way I think. But I can definitely see why your average BBW enthusiast would not like this scent.

Performance-wise, Tailgate is A+! I was a bit concerned about wicks which were thin and ropey but they wound up burning like a charm. They had nice sized mushroom tops which led to very high dancing flames and a consistent deep and even wax pool. Throw-wise, I'd say it's medium-ish ; it fills a room but it certainly doesn't knock you out when you walk in.

Onto the scent... *big loud sigh *eyeroll

Yes, it's....cologne-y! It kinda has a Old Spice vibe to it; to me it smells more like a body spray. I can see the young men playin touch football on the label spraying themselves with a fragrance like this. My bf thinks it smells like soap or body wash. I totally get it, it's like one of those man-inspired body washes...Old Spice, Axe, Dove. When I sniff it, I envision a group of hot jocks dirty from bein out on the field soapin themselves in the shower.

....excuse me for a sec. I do believe I gave myself the vapors writing that...

Ok I'm back.

As soon as you sniff this, you instantly get a whiff of outdoors. There's an inescapable feeling of being outside when you smell it, like Autumn or Sweater Weather. I can honestly say that for once the notes/description are very accurate, you really can smell everything. The "football" leather note is very legit and is the first thing that hits your nose. The hickory and moss notes trail right behind it; the hickory note is crisp and sweet and the moss note adds an earthiness and combined, the two notes are what gives Tailgate that outdoorsy vibe. You really do get the feeling of being out on a brisk autumn afternoon watching guys tackling each other.

...got myself excited again..

And perhaps my nose is playin tricks on me, but there's a note that I can't quite decipher and isn't mentioned in the description. There's a sweet red woodland berry-like note that my nose keeps picking up. I know I'm not trippin, Touchthefiretwice said the exact same thing in his review. It's not bad, just strange; I wish I knew what that note was exactly.

Now because Tailgate didn't have a matching wallflower bulb, I used Boathouse Row (which luckily I bought online before it disappeared) as they both share that moss note and have that same outdoorsy manly vibe. Usually, the bf and I light candles in the bedroom at night. Honestly, this isn't a night time candle. Because there's a warmth to it, Tailgate is better suited for the afternoon or early evening. At the risk of sounding cliché, this honestly would be a fun candle to burn during a football game/tailgating party.

I'm definitely digging this scent; it's very different and unique...probably a little too  different and unique. Perhaps we'll see it again in the future with a new name and/or look; I'd definitely buy it again!

Comments

  1. You crack me up! LOL: "When I sniff i, I envision a group of hot jocks dirty from bein out on the field soaping themselves in the shower."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME