WALK 'N' SNIFF: Seas the Day Collection

So as you may (or may not) know, the "Seas the Day" Candles randomly popped up online last week. However there have been varying reports of when they were supposed to appear in stores - some stores received theirs over the weekend, some got theirs first thing this morning while others have said that their store wouldn't get them until next week with the new floorset. I went to a BBW this morning and they didn't have any of them; not really surprising cuz that store is whack. Then later, before heading home, I stopped by my local WB store and, lo and behold, they had em.



So you already know what Tiki Beach smells like..and Island Papaya and Aloha Kiwi Passionfruit and Coconut Sandalwood.

The Perfect Summer is Suntan aka Poolside and it smells like legit suntan lotion

Berry Waffle Cone is back...why I dunno. It doesn't smell summery at all. Everybody goes apeshit for it and for the life of me, I don't understand the hype.

And now, on to the newness...

Salted Ocean Air (9086AGA2) - this candle has been getting a bit of hype on social media...which is odd for a non-bakery conceptual scent (though having sniffed it finally, I know why). And I must admit that I was quite intrigued with this one at first as I love anything watery/oceanic/salty. After sniffing it, the intrigue disappeared and replaced with confusion; it was not at all what I was expecting.

So right off the bat, the scent is misnamed; it doesn't at all smell anything like "salted ocean air". There's nothing salty or oceanic about this scent though there is an airy/ozonic vibe to it. It's more in the Beach Cabana, Sea Island Cotton, Sundrenched Linen family - think towels and laundry detergent.

Speaking of laundry detergent; there's a one hit wonder candle that this reminds me of - Island Tiare Flower. NOT A REPACKAGE but has a similar beachy laundry detergent/softener vibe.

So what does it smell like? I must admit, it was kinda hard to pick this blend apart because the notes are so friggin vague...and I really wish BBW would stop with the BS and just post honest notes. Anyway, like I said earlier, I do get an airy/ozonic note. Maybe some cucumber to give it a sense of wetness. And there's something creamy, like sandalwood perhaps. Also possibly a floral note, like gardenia/tiare. And Tinadivalicious mentioned it in his review - there are some herbal notes, like eucalyptus and maybe a little hit of lavender. That herbalness is quite light; you really gotta huff it and it's the last thing you get trailing into your nose. Whatever that herbal blend is, it adds a calmess and coolness to the blend.

That said, what this scent makes me think of is a spa. You're at a spa at the beach with pitchers of cucumber water on the counter and white towels and robes fresh from the laundromat. The scent should've been called something "Spa Day" or "Beach Resort" or "Summer Holiday". It's a fresh, clean, airy, non-assuming, guest friendly, vaguely summery scent which is why folks are diggin it, compared to this next scent...

Fresh Sea Walk (9085AGA7) - so hardly anyone on social media has been talking about this one (and now I know why) and I must admit, I was pretty indifferent. The name didn't draw me in and while the notes were pretty straightforward, they did absolutely nothing for me. Then I sniffed and much to my surprise, I really liked it! And, much like Salted Ocean Air, I do believe this is actual unrefomatted and unrepackaged NEWNESS!!!

So let's just get this out of the way now. *SIGH It is...cologney..which is why hardly anyone has been talking about it. If it doesn't smell like coconut or marshamllow or cupcakes or suntan lotion or fabric softener, folks on social media can't be bothered (SHADE). Anyway, this in the same family of summery/watery mandles as Nantucket Sail, Beach Day, Driftwood Surf, Ocean Mist & Citrus and Boathouse Row.

So there's a woody base, the same "driftwood" accord we see in a lot of BBW's summer/beachy mandles; driftwood usually contains wood notes like cedarwood. I also get oak, almost like the oak not that's in Bowties & Bourbon and Mahogany Coconut. There's a faint hint of something floral, but I'm hardpressed to call it "orange blossom" like the notes suggest. The notes also mention bergamot..which I don't get at all! There's nothing in this blend that would suggest the bitter and acrid and cologney bergamot note we usually get in BBw's mandles. There's a couple of things that the notes aren't mentioning. There's a note lurking in the background that gives the illusion of seawater/ocean air...which I'm gonna assume is cucumber/melon which is always the go to blend for oceanic scents. And again, Tinadivalicious said it in his review and I agree - I pick a little bit of lavender a la Seaside Mist; lavender is a common note adding cooling crispness to aquatic scents. If I had to describe this on simple/basic level, I would say think Bowties & Bourbon mixed with Turquoise Waters

I'm kinda diggin this one despite the name and notes not being 100% accurate but as you know, I do have a soft spot of mandles. And 3 cheers for this being newness! Personally, I think FSW is the star of this collection! That said,  I'm not 100% in love so this might a one and done candle for me.  I think this would make a nice candle for the boudoir or mancave. For you folks goose-stepping in the anti-cologne brigade, this ain't the scent for you however it's still worth giving it a whiff

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles