WALK 'N' SNIFF: Crisp Green Apple & Strawberry Poundcake 2.0

So a couple of days ago, I went to a nearby BBW to take advantage of the wf bulb sale. I went in expecting not to see anything interesting. I had already bought the bulbs I wanted and was heading out the store when something told me to turn back around. I looked and sure enough, there was a bunch of the mysterious Crisp Green Apple candles....which as you may (or may not know), these were originally an online only exclusive but have been popping randomly in stores lately. 


Crisp Green Apple (9107M8A11) - I do love a good crisp and juicy apple scent, especially green apple. That said, I was kinda intrigued with this scent. Then there were reports on social media that it smelled like Pink Apple Punch, which seems to be BBW's go-to blend for their apple candles; needless to say, it was a no for me cuz I CAN NOT with that stank ass candle. Anyway, I should've known better than to put stock into noses on social media that I don't trust without smelling it for myself; plot twist, I actually ended up liking it.

First of all, it most certainly is NOT Pink Apple Punch or a facsimile thereof. The 2 scents are similar in the way McDonald's hamburgers are similar to Burger King's hamburgers in the sense that they're both hamburgers. Just cuz they are both apple scents doesn't make them alike.

I did wonder if perhaps it was a repackage of either Green Apple Orchard cica 2014 or practically unheard of Apple Picking circa the following year but I don't think it's either of us.

I do believe it's a...wait for it... NEW SCENT!



Anyhoo, onto the scent itself. So, for the most part, it's pretty straightfoward - it smells like a... well... "crisp green apple" - like fresh off of the tree and when you bite into, you can smell the tight green peel and the crisp meat and the fresh tart but sweet juice. The apple note is spot, very tart and crisp (and I've heard that the tartness and crsipness really comes out after you light it.) It is kinda on the cusp of smelling artificial; a few folks have said that it reminds them green apple Laffy Taffy or Sour Apple Pucker/Schnapps and I totally get it. That said, I don't find that borderline artificialness of the apple obnoxious or cloying. The notes mention citrus...possibly? I do get what may be a hint of lemon perhaps. One thing I do get that's not mentioned in the notes (though it could be the "citrus" the notes vaguely mentions) and it comes out of nowhere is PEACH; I absolutely get a juicy and slightly sour/tart peach/nectarine note. It's random as hell but I don't mind it. I also pick up some kind of floral note; possibly apple and/or pear blossom. The combination of green apple and white floral notes reminds me of the now forgotten Drenched Apple Flower candle from backintheday.

Overall, it's a decent candle. Is exciting and groundbreaking? Is it a nosegasmic panty-dropper? Is it worth throwing a parade over? Does it reinvent the wheel? No all across the board, but it's still a pleasant and guest-friendly scent. And it does deserves brownie points by virtue of it being a relatively new scent. Unless you despise the smell of apple, this is a candle everyone can enjoy; it's sweet and fruity enough for gourmand lovers and authentic-ish enough for fellow conceptual lovers like myself. It makes for a nice spring scent and can take you thru summer and even transition into early fall. If you by chance see this in your store, it's worth giving it a sniff.


Also, I resniffed Strawberry Poundcake...
   
So because the hype over this candle is real, stores have been running out. However to keep up with demand, BBW released a second batch, now in a neon peach colored tumbler as opposed to the original pink one. Now worries, I didn't really notice any significant differences on cold sniff although I have heard of variances as far as throw and performance is concerned.

Now I will admit, when I smelled it the first time, I was not impressed. I'm still not and for the life of me, I do not understand the hype. However, after smellin it again, I will admit it's not as bad as I initially wrote it off to be. That's said I still get a major Cotton Candy Marshmallow / Strawberry Sorbet / Strawberry Picnic vibe, SPC is slightly better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles