RANT OF THE DAY/NEWNESS UPDATE: New Online Only "Unicorn" Candles (REVISED)

Sooooo, these popped up online today...

As you can see, they are online only exclusives...which brings me to my rant

I vehemently hate/loathe/despise this new trend having certain scents only available on the website. And it seems to be scents that were previously testing and I'm guessing the remainders in the warehouse were simply put online to get rid of them as there weren't enough to send to stores nationwide.

Now a couple of years ago, I was for this. As you know, during the golden age of BBW, there was the test store craze and for a time, you could order test candles from test stores; that of couse went the way of the dodo due to peope's greed and thirst. So test candles were harder to get to after that. An with Littleballadeer and Tinadivalicious and Touchthefiretwice pumping review video after the review video, the test candle thirst was real.

In those days, I often said that failed test scents should be put online so tha more peple could have easier access to them. Years later, BBW seems to have listened..however it's case of happening a little too late.

Here's the thing..

First of all, candles are much more expensive now. At the start of the test candle craze, candles were $ 19.50/20.00 with constant 2for20 sales. You could buy multiple candles and not feel like you're breaking the bank. Nowadays with candles being as pricey as they are along with S/H fees and taxes, you're spending a lot of money an often times it's not worth it; I can't speak for you, but personally I don't want to spend all that money for candles that I possibly won't enjoy.

Secondly, backintheday, you often had a surplus/plethora of coupons at your disposal. Everytime you shopped in the store, you got 10off30 survey coupons. You were contantly sent free shipping over $25 coupons and even the $1 shipping coupons were worth it. And if you were lucky, you or a friend received the rare 40% mystery coupon. How often do you see any of those anymore? Beacuse of inflation and prices increasing, BBW wants you to spend more money as they can't afford to have you spend les.

Third and most importantly, the quality of shipping was soooooo much better backintheday. Candles were actually..wait for it...BUBBLE WRAPPED. Mindblown right?! It boggles my mind how BBW is ok with candles just being sent only in cardboard sleeves - no bubble wrap, no cellopane peanuts, no shipping paper, just cardboard sleeves. If had a dollar everytim someone on social media complained about receiving broken candles, I could buy BBW/L Brand!

Now back when I lived in NOLA, I bought stuff online all the time out of necessity; there were 3 stores but they were too far away, way out in the suburbs. Buying online was just more convenient. However where I am now, there are sooo more stores near me so I can shop with ease and sniff things in person. Not too long ago, I bought an online exclusive candle and you already know where this is going - it came broken. Yes, Customer Service was helpful and I was set another one HOWEVER I shouldn't have go thru all of that. I haven't bought aother since. I refuse to spend extra money on candles I have no earthly idea what they smell like just for them to arrive broken - eff that!

Anyway, rant over..

So BBW released this candles today and buzz on social media is palpable. People are already taking advantage of the current B2G2 sale and buying these exclusives by the handfuls. I'm sure we'll be seeing a ton "I don't normally buy online BUT...." AND "look at what I got" and "mmm, they smell so good" and "I can't wait to add these to my collection". It'll be interesting to see how many of these arrive broken (SHADE)

So what's the story with these candles you may be wondering? Well, all but one, are bakery/gourmand scents because of couse they are! The packaging is...umm..yeah. There's one straightup returning scent and the remainder are potentially "new"...but who are we kidding, they are mostly repackages which is par for the course with BBW.

The one returning scent is Lavender Marshmallow, which is awesome cuz it's an amazing scent. BBW seems to have learned their lesson since LM first came came out.

The scents are...


  • Unicorn SprinklesFluffy Cotton Candy, Rainbow Candy Drops, Sugared Lemon 

Possible Repackage of: Cotton Candy
Notes Comparison: Spun Sugar, Vanilla Bean, Tangerine



  • Mermaid Wishes - Sparkling Pink Grapefruit, Breezy Sea Fern, Dash of Lily Pad

Possible Repackage of: Blue Bungalow
Notes Comparison: Swaying Palms, Salty Breezes, Golden Rattan Cane, Sweet Grapefruit

ADDENDUM: Could also be Water Lily & Palm (this actually makes more sense)
Notes Comparison: Water Lily Blossom, Banana Flower, Palm Fronds, Orange Neroli




  • Mint Chip Shake Dark Chocolate Chunks, Icy Peppermint, Decadently Smooth Ice Cream

Possible Repackage of: Mint Chocolate
Notes Comparison: Semi-sweet Chocolate, Dark Cocoa, Peppermint, Vanilla Cream, White Chocolate


  • Citrus CrystalsSugared Orange Slices, Tangy Lemon Drops, Fizzy Guava

Possible Repackage of: Sugared Citrus Sorbet
Notes Comparison: Zesty Mandarin, Icy Lemon Sugar, Juicy Red Raspberry



  • Marble ToffeeToasted Coconut, Browned Sugar Glaze, White Chocolate Chips

Possible Repackage of: Toffee Brittle
Notes Comparison: Maple Cream, Brown Butter, Coconut Sugar 


  • Vanilla Cola CandyFizzy Soda Crystals, Sparkling Sugar Cane, Creamy Vanilla

Possible Repackage of: Root Beer Float
Notes Comparison: Root Beer, Vanilla Ice Cream, Dollop of Whipped Cream (2018 vers.)
                                  Root Beer, Vanilla Ice Cream, Nutmeg (2012 vers)

Confirmed NOT to be Root Beer Float, but a new scent
                             


Unless these suckers pop up in stores (fingers crossed maybe for SAS), do NOT expect any reviews from me; I refuse to be that person buying these candles just to review. Hopefully someone with a reliable nose and comprehensive candle knowledge will post a halfway decent review beyond  "looking/smelling good" but I have my doubts.











 

Comments

  1. Thank you! I was so annoyed to see all the hype about these on IG this morning; I could not believe how many people LIKED that B&BW had done this. I'm trying to be much more conservative about my candle buying these days (mostly because of the crappy quality), so no way am I going to buy these without smelling first. Especially since they're bakery scents - I like bakery scents, but am super picky about them, because certain sweet scents make me sick to my stomach. So like you, unless they come out for SAS, I will not be buying. I already have plenty of candles anyway - I'm enjoying burning from my "stash" and actually shrinking my collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles