SCENT EXPOSÉ: The Alluring Anomaly of Acorn Lane


I forgot to mention in my last post that along with my 11.95 candle haul, I also bought some wf bulbs - mainly a few Vanilla Sages as well as this bad boi.

When the list of this year's fall scents came out, I scanned for actual or potential newness and one name stood out - Acorn Lane. This one really intrigued me - I couldn't think of scents from falls past that this could possibly be a repackage of. Moreover, I just couldn't imagine what it possibly smell like.

So as you may (or may not) know is that the acorn is the seed of the oak tree; it's also known as an "oaknut". Acorns themselves have little to no scents (although apparently the smell of acorns drives deers apeshit and deer hunter make an essence from crushed/boiled acorns to attract them). So how does something with such an extremely faint scent that only animals can really smell work in home fragrance?

Could it be a repackage or reworking of Autumn Day? After all, it's original name when it made its debut in 2011 was ACORN & Fig. Naw, BBW wouldn't rename and release a staple of the Golden Age.

I figured since there's a connection between acorns and oaks, maybe it'll be a wood based scent with a hint of something nutty; something along the lines of Autumn Woods perhaps. Perhaps the scent scent is meant to conjure walking thru a grove of oak trees with fall acorns strewn about the path.

Mrs. Meyer's recently released (last year or the year before) a line of fall inspired cleaning supplies called "Acorn Spice " I had at one point both the dish and soaps as curious as to what the company's interpretation of what they thought acorns, spiced or otherwise, smelled like. It was a wood based scent with a hint of something nutty (almost chestnut-y in my opinion) as well as typical warming autumn spices, more emphasis on nutmeg. Maybe Acorn Lane wll smell similar to that.

Acorn Lane finally appeared online and I was finally able to satisfy my curiousity and have a looksie at the notes..... I saw the notes and they completely threw my theories out of window and into at the atmosphere never to be seen again.

Absolutely NO mention of acorns or anything nutty. Nothing woody either. Instead we get...

" Autumn Leaves, Warm Cinnamon, Crisp Gala Apples"

.....ummmmmm, ooookaaay?! I had sooooo many questions...

So this gonna be some kind of Leaves type of situation? But why have something similar to Leaves is already, in 2 different collections?

What do those notes have to done with acorns in a lane?

How are those notes gonna make itself distinct from every other cinnamon-apple/spiced cider scent on the market?

I had to know what this smelled like? I had seriously thought about buying one during the 11.95 sale but that just didn't seem practical. I refuse to be that candlereviewer who buys candles just to review. And what if I ended up not liking it? I'm not at all comfortable going to a store to exchange at the moment so then I'm stuck with a candle I don't want and that's a waste of money. I couldn't commit to buying a candle so I opted to buy wf refill instead; compared to candles, it's more of a low risk investment purchase' plus I'd be smelling pure unsaturated oil thus getting a more pure and stranger fragrance.

By the time I made my order, I had already heard what people thought of Acorn Lane but I was trying to not let it influence but it was good to have a frame of reference. And as it turned out, some of those people were right.

A week goes by and my package of arrives; while I happy with my choices, I was quite excited to finally sniff Acorn Lane and have my curiousity sated.

So what does Acorn Lane smell like? ....Chestnut & Clove ....with a hint of apple

I did hear people on social media say this and I was hoping it wasn't true but it was.

ADDENDUM: There were people also saying it that it either smelled like or was a repackage of last year's The Perfect Christmas..I can see that, though I think this is coming from unfamiliar with Chestnut & Clove (though perhaps the candle is closer to TPC, who knows.)

So, on the one hand I get why an autumnal repackage with a twist of C&C could work - the chestnuts are the "acorns", the cedarwood is the "lane", the pine is the "leaves", both scents have cinnamon that screams fall and the apple is the autumnal cherry on top. But those are big leaps.

Furthermore, because it smells so C&C-esque, AC doesn't feel particularly very fall-ish but rather more Christmas-y. I mean maybe if they marketed the scent better, it could've worked as a transitional Thanksgiving collection candle but as an early fall scent? Not so much.

Yeah, it's kind of a disappointment. All that buildup and intrigue for nothing; a whole lot of humping and no busted nuts.

What earth made BBW think created this scent was a good idea? Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad scent just a blah one and one you would not at all expect.

Why not have a woody scent like Autumn Woods and maybe throw in some Spiced Chestnuts? That's a heck of lot more better sounding and appropriate to the name and vibe than C&C with apple!

OR, better yet, stop wasting time, money, creativity and manpower making new scents that don't work and bring out some old scents from the vault - Autumn NightTailgate, Mountain Leaves, Lavender Caramel, Spiced Pumpkin CiderAutumn Sunshine, Apple Crumble, Nutmeg & Spice, Kitchen SpicePumpkin Patch/Carving...PEPPERED PLUM  

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, Autumn Sunshine! I miss that scent! I wish they would bring that back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been curious to hear your opinion on this scent. It reminds me of Evening Hearth (last year or two years ago?) with a little cinnamon apple. Or even a lighter (less Xmas-y) version of Cinnamon Pinecone with a little apple. I remember EH had some tricky batches and it was so hard to identify the notes in spite of the label, but I liked it (could’ve had a better throw). I still had a 1/2 jar to compare to AL. I thought they were similar except for the Apple note in AL. Anyway, will try the wallflower at the next sale.
    P.s. thanks for coming back! I’ve missed reading your posts. But life just isn’t the same anymore, for any of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn Sunshine is the one that got away, man. I have two full candles I refuse to burn, and I just spent $12 on eBay to buy the wax melt. BABY, COME BACK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh......YES! Peppered Plum!!!! That’s my jam!!!!! 🙌🏻 I have two and will only break out one of them that is the designated burn candle for an hour tops each fall. Then it gets put back in the candle cabinet along with its unburned twin. Those babies are treasured and pampered and kept in the back of the closet like Mama’s years old mink and diamond jewelry! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I’m sad. Peppered Plum sounds exactly like my jam. Really wish they’d bring that back. It’s frustrating that it seems like all their autumnal/Christmas scents are like: CINNAMON!!!andsomeotherstuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Acorn Lane is lovely. Bought it in September and saved it for today, Nov. 1 (transition scent).
    Before reading this, I too thought it was a rebranding of Chesnut and Clove which I LOVEEE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love Acorn Lane!! And I normally don't like ANY of B&BW or White Barn scents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles