CANDLE SPOTLIGHT: Blueberry Pumpkin Strudel



Product: candle   
Area used in:  living room
Time Period: mid-October - Thanksgiving

Description: Sweet Blueberry, Baked Apple, Blackberry, Pumpkin Spice, Puff Pastry

So I saw (and obviously bought) this waayyy back in the summer during the Fall Preview. I was immediately drawn to that beautiful blue wax and label (blue is my favorite color btw) and while I'm not usually a big fan of berry scents, I was intrigued. I was really hoping that it would Blueberry Pumpkin Patch...which would make total absolute sense. It wasn't unfortunately but it did smell like another fall candle from the past and I couldn't put my finger on it til I got home..I'll talk about that later.

So this had the makings of being a champ. The cold throw just after taking off the lid is a uppercut of fragrance but once lit..total knockout. It has that "warm blanket" throw that I love. It filled my entire living room with fragrance and lingered for hours after I blew it. It might have lingered longer had I not opened the window. Everything is all to good...except the burn. Behold... 

Hot tunneling mess!!!

TOTAL SADNESS! Stubby wicks with the white crap on top, pitiful low flames and the worst tunneling I've seen in years. This like Blueberry Pumpkin Patch, original Mahogany Teakwood, Spring 2012 type burn. I did the cotton ball trick, first time I've had to do that in ages..didn't work. The flames left huge plateaus of wax on the side; this was like the Grand Canyons of wax. I may end up having to the dreaded..dare I say it...ALUMINIUM FOIL TRICK!!!


Normally if a candle has that craptastic of a burn, back to the store it goes with no f*** given buuuttt I do really like the scent...

So scent-wise this candle is kinds of confusing. Like I said earlier, I couldn't figure what BPS smelled like. First of all, I didn't smell like what the name and notes suggested and it smelled like something I burned before. And then it hit once I got home - SPICED PUMPKIN CIDER! I ran to my candle collection and took out SPC to compare...totally the same! It had the exact same warm mulled/spiced apple cider base and that very tricky pumpkin note that comes off very bakery. Puff pastry my bronze ass!

Then I burned it...and it totally flipped the script on me! First of all, I was getting more of the berry. It smelled like super sweet berry syrup or the berry gunk inside of Poptart - very similar to Blueberry Pumpkin Patch. The spices along with the baked apple give me Harvest Gathering type vibe. And that damn pumpkin once again come across as bakery but not puff pastry; more doughy and buttery like Warm Apple Pie.

So in nutshell... Spiced Pumpkin Cider + Blueberry Pumpkin Patch = Blueberry Pumpkin Strudel

I feel like BPS was kinduva missed opportunity, it's a bit of a fail in some aspects. Like so many of the "pumpkin" scents in this collection, the word "pumpkin" should NOT be in the name. If BBW would've called it something "Warm Berry Cider" or "Apple Berry Tart" or "Blueberry Crumble" or "Berry Jelly Donut" and it was in the "Cork & Vine" collection or some kinda fall bakery treats/coffeehouse collection, it would've worked. But to call it a "pumpkin" scent and put in it a "pumpkin" collection..yeah, no! And there's the matter of the craptastic burn which there is just absolutely no excuse! At any rate, this is an awesome scent. Granted I would've preferred either Spiced Pumpkin Cider or Blueberry Pumpkin Patch instead but beggars can't be choosers. I do think this is worth trying out, but know you run risk of getting a dud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME