WALK N' SNIFF (part deux): Toast the Night/Celebration/It Happened One Night candles

Honestly this was the only line released for this winter that I was remotely interested  and excited about. I thought it was an awesome idea to have a line inspired by and dedicated to New Year's. And ya gotta love the Art Deco/1920's/Great Gatsby-esque labeling!

Anyhoo, let's get into it...

Peach Bellini
It always bewildered me why PB continues to be marketed as a winter scent...cuz it's not! Now don't get me wrong, I like PB and I don't think it's a bad scent so much as I think that it's not appropriate for winter. I also think it's strange that there are two bellini scents released side by side. I think CPB is more wintery that PB and even callin a CPB a winter scent is pushin it a bit. I think now that BBW has created an actual "champagne" scent, PB should be retired and only released in the spring/summer.

Cranberry Pear Bellini
CPB has been a popular winter time staple for years now with no sign of disappearing anytime soon. And come to find out that it's an actual cocktail - thank you Martha Stewart. You can't helping liking this scent - it's fresh and fruity and fizzy and effervescent. My only complaint is that this scent as well as the other two "bellini" scents (particularly the wallflower bulbs) has a cough syrup/drop aspect to it; I think it might be the blackcurrant and/or pear note. Anyhoo, CPB strikes me as a late winter scent as opposed to a holiday time scent. With that said, I'm gonna buy CPB to burn during Carnival/Mardi Gras time.

Spice Apple Toddy
This scent is so disappointing! There's no getting around it - this is LEAVES, plain and simple, end of story. It's a bit spicier but other than that there's no denying that SAT is a repackage of Leaves. To call this a "toddy" is really pushing it; you really don't get much of a hot alcoholic drink aspect to it just the cider and cinnamon notes from Leaves. As much I love Leaves, I had enough of it in fall and don't particularly wanna burn something similar to it in winter. Kinda makes me wonder which came first, Leaves or SAT..hmmmm...

Hot Buttered Rum
This scent is so friggin gross! I hate the actual drink itself and I hate the candle even more. It's cloying and ooey-gooey like Pumpkin Caramel Latte; it's basically PCL with an added rum note. BBW please retire this scent! Bring back Peppermint Mocha or Egg Nog Cheer and replace this crap!

Champagne Toast
Finally, a friggin champagne scent! Long overdue! CT seems to be the most popular scent in this line and I can definitely see why. You think CPB is fresh and fruit and fizzy? Well CT kicks it up a notch and totally kicks CPB's ass! And I agree with everybody's assesment that CT is very similar to Summertime Soda, like a crisp winter version of it. My only qualm, and it's a tiny one, is that I wish that there was more of champagne aspect to this scent and not so much of the nectarine note. Because of that, CT comes across more like a mimosa rather than a glass of bubbly champagne. In fact don't surprised to see this reappear later in the year and possibly calling itself a mimosa.

Party Dress
I'm not a big fan of floral scents so while I was impressed that BBW actually came up with an entirely new and unrepackaged scent, I can't say I was too excited about or considered buying it. From looking at the notes, I assumed that PD would simply smell like a faceful of flowers. But after sniffing it, I can honestly say that it doesn't. It does however smell more like an upscale ladies perfume or body spray. It actually kinda reminds me of Dark Kiss or Black Amethyst. With that said, I'm surprised BBW didn't release a PD FFM or eau du parfum for New Year's.

Black Tie
AKA Sage & Cedar. When I first heard about Black Tie, I admit I was intrigued with the name but quickly became baffled when I heard what it was a repackage of. I never got to smell Sage and Cedar but I saw enough reviews about it and everyone had the same thing to say about it - it's cologne-y. With it's notes of sage, cedarwood and Tonka bean, I didn't get why S&C would be a candidate for a scent that was obviously supposed to be sexy manly scent. Why not Oakmoss & Vetiver or Boathouse Row or even Black Pepper Bergamot  which all have a warm, dark, sensual and undeniably masculine vibe to them. Then I sniffed BT and I understood why. It's quite cologne-y ; in fact I'd say it smells like a mix between Black Pepper Bergamot and Mahogany Teakwood. I would almost go so far as to say it kinda smells lil sexy. I would want my New Years date to smell something like this! BT proves without a doubt that a new name and look can do wonders - it's all about the marketing!

Comments

  1. Do you happen to know if Black Tie is going to be an annual scent, or if it was just for this season? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt it'll be an annual scent, I don't think it's that popular of a scent. Although we may see it again next fall or winter with another name

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up 4 CPB wallflowers tonight as well as a Champagne Toast wallflower. I am sorry that I slept on both of these candles! I had never smelled CPB before tonight (they had a tester candle in back, but wouldnt sell it to me! LOL) and I really liked the scent. I will make sure to get one of each of these candles this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know whatcha mean, I would pass right cpb all the time. But I discovered how really good the scent. If it's all possible, definitely try to get a candle or two

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME