WALK 'N' SNIFF: Fall 2019 Scents ~ Shimmering Woods and Miscellaneous

So I just happened to be in part of town I'm hardly ever in. I'm heading for the subway about to go home when I saw a familiar sight out of the corner of my eye. There across the street was a BBW/WB store; I didn't even know one even existed in this area.  Naturally I had to go in and explore; sure enough this store had everything, including the scents I didn't see during my last WALK N SNIFF. That said, without further ado, let's begin the review!

So I'll get the miscellaneous stuff out of the way first.

Fresh Fall Morning (9203AGA5) - I was quite intrigued with this one at first. Everyone described it as cologney and you know mandles get my fullest and most immediate attention. People were also saying that it smelled "familiar" and being the candle/repackage detective I am, I just had to get to the bottom of it and crack this case. I thought that the notes had an Autumn Day/Acorn & Fig vibe to it but I was told from folks who sniffed that it wasn't. Having finally sniffed it, I can say with certainty that it's NOT Autumn Day but it does have a similar vibe; think of it as a younger distant cousin. And as far as it smelling familiar I'm gonna have to go with ehh, no not really. I think cologney scents/mandles throw folks for a loop and they all just kinda smell alike. There haven't been many mandles for fall and FFM doesn't smell like any of them. So yeah, newness!  Anywho it's definitely a cologney mandle, more in the fresh category. There's a slight red apple (and possibly pear) note that gives the blend a definite autumnal feel. And there is any herbalness, but I'm hardpessed to say that it's sage. And there's a slight woodiness, like sandalwood. And the notes description don't explain it but there's an wet fresh ozonic note that was a rainwater/petrichor vibe to it . I think this scent is misnamed as nothing about suggests "fresh fall morning"; "Autumn Rain" or perhaps, "Orchard Dew" . It's a pleasant scent but nothing exciting or groundbreaking. It's yet another unnecessary fall fresh air scent like Crisp Morning Air or Autumn Sky.

Spiced Chestnut (9200G3A3) - I know I talked about this one in my last WALK N SNIFF, however  *dun dun dunnnnn BATCH VARIANCE. This batch of SC did NOT have an Evening Bonfire vibe but smelled very gourmand and, well, basic. And typical BBW-ian caramel-ness - think Salted Caramel, Butterscotch Bourbon, Bourbon Sea Salt Caramel. Caramel action with a bit of dark woodsy booziness. And then a nutty baked/candied chestnut note. While this batch smells more authentic, I think I prefer the other batch.

And now the Shimmering Woods candles, excluding returning scents and focusing on newness

Nature Walk (9205AGA4) - I was really hoping BBW was gonna give some backintheday failed test scent realness - Tailgate maybe or Cedarwood Trail.  Not so much. However there are 2 scents from the past this candle reminds me off - Sandalwood Citrus aka Citron Sandalwood and Autumn Sky. At any rate, it's definitely cologney. It's a woodsy blend with citrusy nuances. There's a cedarwood and possibly sandalwood base. I don't really get bergamot but rather more lemon. I don't get juniper at all. Honestly, it's a very forgettable scent and not at all autumnal.

Fall Farmhouse (9212AGA2) - So a lot of people on social media were saying that this  was similar to the one hit wonder Pumpkin Woods. I definitely have to agree; I would even go so far as to call it a repacakage with a twist as the 2 are extremely similar but with a tweak.  So there's a definite cedarwood base - a softer dryer wood. And there's balsam that adds fresh astringent pine needley nuances. Then there's the spice blend - cinnamon bark and maybe some nutmeg. The tweak that this candle has that's different from PW is that they're is a definite ozonic note that gives the illusion of brisk autumn air. Think of being a cabin with autumn potpourri with the window or door open or inside of a Michael's craft store and the sliding doors open; either way, brisk crisp autumn breezes blow in scented with autumn spiced potpourri. That's essentially what this candle smells like.  I kinda like the additional "fall air" note to this blend; it sorta calms down  the intensity of the other more potent  notes. is it enough to make it "newness"? No. As a whole, does it reinvent the wheel? No. Does it paint/conjure a picture? Yes. While not groundbreaking, it's still worth sniffing.

 

Comments

  1. So there is a batch variance for SC! I thought I was going crazy lol. Honestly I trust your nose more than I trust mine, so I figured you couldn't be so far off in your review of it. I just thought maybe I'd smelled it too quick since I was in a rush. Well, I hope to come across the other batch, if only to smell the difference. I bought 2 or 3 Evening Hearth candles on clearance during SAS, so I don't know that I'd buy one that smells too similar.

    Glad to hear your take on Fall Farmhouse, definitely sounds like one I will like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles