WALK 'N' SNIFF: Summer 2017 Candles (Rattan/Basket Weave & Letterbox Candles)

Finally, after weeks of waiting, I got to sniff these summer candles


My general first impression? Eh, not bad

I like the look of both collections and they both certainly get you in the summer mood. That said, I'm not one of those Basic Bs who only buy candles for the packaging; I am 100% all about the scents. Speaking of the scents, there are some hits and definitely some misses and mostly repackages (surprise surprise). That being said, let's get on with the review. And as usual, I'm only gonna talk about the "new" stuff.

Sun-washed Citrus (8086M8A1) - So everyone, myself included, assumed that this was a straightup repackage of the overly repeated Capri Citron/Pomelo Citron. However it surprisingly isn't but it's similar. There's a lemon peel note as well as a sweet drippy syrup vibe but that's where the similarities end. The notes mention pineapples...I guess? I do get a melange of other unmentioned tropical fruit notes like papaya or guava; those notes along with the agave nectar kinda reminds me of the canned Dole's Tropical Fruit Salad. Along those lines, this candle also reminds me a lot of Sunset Beach though I don't think it's a straightup repackage. Both scents are generic with such intensely sweet artificial smelling tropical fruit notes that almost smell like punch or a popsicle. All in all, it's a cute un-assuming guest friendly summer scent but nothing really exciting.

Blue Bungalow (8086G3A4) - because the given notes for this scent were total and complete BS, I didn't know what to expect. I didn't at all expect what I ended up smelling. Take Bowties & Bourbon,  mix in Ocean Mist & Citrus and that is essentially Blue Bungalow. I even sniffed a nearby tester candle of B&BT and dared to compare; definitely not a repackage like I initially thought but extremely similar. BB has the same dark woody bottom notes as B&BT but lacks the dark sugar drippiness as well as the bergamot and instead has the same salty grapefruit note from OM&C. It's an interesting hybrid and it doesn't smell bad but I don't really know what the point of the scent is or what it's trying to convey. 

Sea Salt & Linen (8086AGA6) - this one first caught my attention as the notes really intrigued me. Based on those notes, I totally thought this would be a repackage of last winter's Comfort ~ Soft Cashmere Blankets. Boy was I wrong! I kept sniffing it over and over cuz it smelled sooo familiar. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks - it's totally a repackage of last summer's Orange Blossom & Driftwood aka the controversial Coastal Oak & Seasalt batch 2.0 . I don't get any notes that are mentioned for SS&L..except for the sea salt. It even stung my nose the same OB&DW/CO&SS did. I am really surprised (but not really) that no one on social media realized this when they sniffed it. So yeah,if you like OB&DW/CO&SS, good news - it's back!

Summer Terrace (8085K3A1) - so the notes for this candle didn't sound remotely summery or beachy so I wondered how it smelled. Well I'm not longer wondering! I'm both excited and disappointed to say that it is a repackage and you would never guess in 1000 years....Beach Sage & Mint . I don't get pear as the notes suggest but rather just vague citrus and cucumber...although that could very well be some variety of pear all along. And watermint makes sense as I did wonder what kind of mint was used in BS&M. It would've been nice to get a new scent but I do really love BS&M so I'm not totally mad. And I do like the new name better. 

ADDENDUM: I ended up buying ST days later online and I did a sniff comparison with BS&M. I actually pick up a little pear..almost a little Prickly Pear & Sugarcane-ish. It's also missing BS&M'S sharp bergamot note. Other than than those 2 differences, they're essentially the same


HAPPY ~ Island Papaya (8094G3A5) - I theorized that this was a repackage and turns out I was right. It's a repackage of Papaya Sunrise from spring/summer 2015. It smells like papaya with a little hint of coconut and maybe some guava and/or mango. It smells less like fresh cut fruit and more like a smoothie cuz there's both a sweetness and creaminess to it. It's a nice departure from the pineapple and mango and coconut that we're assaulted with every summer.

SUNKISSED ~ Bronzed Goddess (8092AGAA2) - this scent is straightup bizarre. For something with the word "goddess" in the name, it smells oddly masculine. It has a base that smells like one of the various and most recent smoky/incense-y/sweet woody candles, like Frankincense or Incense or something from the Test Lab Collection. I got the amber that adds a little warmth to the blend. I also get something resinous and Oriental, like frankincense or myrrh. And the notes don't mention it, but I swear I got a little hint of coconut in the background. This scent is not cute at all and I dunno what BBW was thinkin (or smokin) when they created it.

SWEET SUMMER DAYS ~ Watermelon Ice (8094AGA1) - so right off the bat,this so not what you think it is! You would assume that this would be a straightup repackage of Watermelon Lemonade..plot twist..it isn't..though it is similar. It is also NOT Cucumber Melon as some people have said it was on social media...though I can see the comparison. Imagine Watermelon Lemonade without the lemonade aspect and with honeydew and cucumber (perhaps a little floral, like freesia) mixed in instead and that is essentially Watermelon Ice. And like Watermelon Lemonade, the watermelon note is very Jolly Rancher-esque. Also, if you have Homeworx's Farmstand Watermelon, Watermelon Ice smells almost exactly like that. It doesn't smell so much like a slushie or snowball as the name and notes both suggest but rather a cool glass of freshly pressed melon and cucumber juice...still refreshing on a hot summer day though. If you like (or don't like) Watermelon Lemonade, then you'll like Watermelon Ice; I actually think it's sooo much better and more authentic.

ADDENDUM: Some folks on social media are saying that some batches smell like a peanut butter especially after burning. The ones in my store didn't and I bought one online with a batch number ending in -94 doesn't either. So yeah take that into consideration if you are thinking of buying this

So most stores started putting these candles out today but are still receiving shipments. So if I were you, I would wait til this weekend to get your sniff & buy on once your stores have full shipment.  



  

Comments

  1. See I thought Summer Terrace smells exactly like Fresh Mint and Coconut from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the name "Bronzed Goddess" I would have expected like a suntan lotion/tanning oil kind of scent, like the old Suntan candle. I'm so excited to get my hands on another Beach Sage and Mint candle! I have an almost finished one from last year, and my wallflower in it is long gone. But I agree, it would have been nice to have a new scent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I burned the blue bungalow candle a few days ago... and it was very light. I could barely smell it. I loved it on cold though - it reminded me of BT&B as you said, but also a little of the Wild Sage & Aloe candle. Can't wait to sniff the others in the collection! Thank you for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking for a wine cellar dupe! I NEED them to bring that candle back. Vanilla Birch is the closet I can find and of course they don't have that currently...but they have disgusting Japanese Cherry Blossom ALL THE TIME... YUCK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...dunno what that has to do with this particular post

      That said, you'll be pleased to know that Vanilla Birch is indeed coming back this upcoming summer in the WB core line. As Wine Cellar, it's typically sold in the fall so keep a look out once the fall scents come out

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles