RANT OF THE DAY/NEWNESS UPDATE: More Goddamned Mutha-effin Quotes Candles!!! *UPDATED

There are soooooooooooooooo many quotes candles heading our way! As soon as I've seen one on social media or a candle buddy gave me headsup about one, I try to post them on my last NEWNESS UPDATE post in a vain attempt to keep it updated however so many random new ones keep popping up. So as to not drive myself crazy, I just made a new post dedicated to them...and  it gives me an excuse to rant about them.

So there's basically 3 sets of quote candles. Set one are the Christmas themed ones that are currently in stores now...
  • Most Wonderful Time of the Year = Fresh Balsam
  • Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow = Twisted Peppermint
  • baby it's Cold Outside = Fireside
  • TIS THE SEASON = Tis the Season
  • better not pout! = Spiced Gingerbread
  • WE WHISK YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS = Maple Cinnamon Pancakes aka Pumpkin Caramel Latte 


And now the new stuff. The second set is a mix of holiday themed quotes...and they are lame as f***
  • Merry and Bright = Limoncello 
  • But First Champagne = Champagne Toast
  • New Year's Wishes & Mistletoe Kisses = Merry Mistletoe
  • Oh What Fun = Winter Candy Apple 
  • Mazel Tov = Vanilla Snowflake
  • Dear Santa, I want a Unicorn = Peppermint Marshmallow
  • Dear Santa, Define Naughty  = Spice
  • Dear Santa, Enjoy the milk & cookies = Merry Cookies
A new one has been added and I must admit that I'm quite intrigued 
  • Dear Santa, I Blame The Eggnog = Butterrum Eggnog - Spiced Eggnog, Vanilla Bourbon, Rich Buttercream, Shaved Nutmeg
At first I thought this might be god-awful Hot Buttered Rum but my source assured me that it smelled like actual eggnog and that she got spice so I am hoping against all hope that it's a repackage of the forgotten Slatkin era scent Eggnog Cheer. If it is, this will be the ONLY quotes candle I'll buy and yet bet your sweet ass that label will be ripped off post haste.


The third and last set are a group of un-holiday-ish nondescript candles with quotes BBW's marketing department "thinks" are funny/clever. And the scents BBW chose just have no rhyme or reason to them 


A "new" scent has been thrown into this set...

  • Let's Get Baked = Nutmeg Cupcake - Grated Nutmeg, Cinnamon Stick, Sugared Almonds, Creamy Vanilla
Yeeeaahhh, that sounds suspiciously like Creamy Nutmeg



And now the rant...

I F***ING HATE/LOATHE/DESPISE THESE QUOTES CANDLES! My intense hatred for these damn candles burns with the heat of a thousands suns!!!

Now in the beginning when they had quote candles for different events like Mother's day and Valentines and birthdays..those were cute...cheap but cute. Those were actually a good idea. But as always, BBW sees something that is mildly popular and they run with it. They should've stopped while they were ahead but they are all about beating that dead horse into pulp.

First of all, these candles just look ridiculously cheap! They don't look like something that should be in a BBW store. No other candle companies is doing something cheap and gimmicky like this...actually that's not entirely true; one company is....Victoria's Secret. Is that who you want to emulate BBW? Is that who you want to rival? Oh wait..you're owned by the some parent company as VS...yeeeaahhh, never mind!

And speaking of cheap...is it a financial reason you're moving in this direction? Is using font graphics cheaper than stock photos? From a business/financial point of view, I guess that makes sense..if that is indeed the case. However from a visual/graphic side, these quotes labels just don't have the same draw and appeal as stock photos. People like to see pictures..especially in fall and winter. Even the cartoon animal labels, as infantile as they were, looked better than these damn quote labels.

Time to spill tea..there have already been reports that certain designs were stolen from artists posting their graphics on Etsy. I mean is that the deal? It's like you have interns searching thru Etsy and picking out inexpensive/easily ripped-off-able quotes of there.  Not a cute look BBW!

Also the quotes y'all picked aren't even all that funny or clever, they're stupid. It's like you either had millennial interns picking out quotes that seem ironic or you have 40+ marketing execs desperately trying to be "hip". Either way, it reeks of sheer desperation.

And  who are these quotes candles marketed for? Because they're so gimmicky, it seems like you're trying to get the teenyboppers back in stores but so many of the chosen scents just don't seem very teenybop-ish. Or are you trying to grab the bored housewife set who only come into the store every once in awhile? Honestly do you know how the market audience are for these scents? Cuz it kinda seems like you don't.

And just speakin for myself and I'm sure other candle connoisseurs with actual taste will agree...some of the scents sound appealing enough to buy but those labels just repel me so on the shelves they stay. Yes, it's silly and yes, I could easily just pull the labels off...but I shouldn't have to. A pretty label is part of the package and adds to the ambiance of burning BBW candles. It's marketing 101 as well as common sense. If you're in a restaurant and your food comes out wrapped in old newspaper or looks like it's been stepped on, it doesn't matter how amazing it smells or how luxurious the ingredients are, chances are you won't eat it. And that's how I feel about these candles.

BBW, hear my plea!!! Can you PLEASE go back to having high standards?! Stop cutting corners! Stop catering to the basic bitches of America! Give me scents that send me on olfactory adventures! Give me throws that hold me tightly in its arms and tell me everything is gonna be alright! Give me goddamn mutha-effin pictures on my labels!

STOP WITH THE QUOTES! JUST..STOP!




GIPHY.COM

Comments

  1. Fun fact (you probably already knew) BBW and Victoria's Secret are actually connected and owned by the same parent company or they were a few years ago anyway. I don't think it's changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's funny, I totally forgot about that lol Then today I was talking with somebody on Instagram who brought it up and I was like oh yeah, that's right lol

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I HATE the quotes candles! I totally agree, even scents that I would have otherwise liked, I pass on because I just think they're so stupid looking. I think it's especially stupid when they put out quotes candles in scents they already have! Like, why would I buy a Midnight Blue Citrus candle that says "Goaldigger" on it when I can just buy a Midnight Blue Citrus in the pretty blue-coloured White Barn glass? It doesn't make any sense. BBW's marketing team needs to get it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never cared about the packaging of candles, I just cared about the scent and whether or not I liked it, lol. My only annoyance is they're all the "same" scents and even the "new" ones don't intrigue me at all so over-all I won't be buying any of these candles. I dunno WHY they have to constantly re-package scents with different labels....B&BW has like, THREE candles with different labels - they're ALL Fresh Balsam...WTF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS. I get emails saying they have new candles only to find out they're the same scents with different labels. Why?! Could you please bring back old school scents? Like you said, I only care about the smell anyway - I have a pretty holder to hide the labels.

      Delete
  4. I think the butterrum eggnog smelled like creamy nutmeg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME