WALK 'N' SNIFF: New Ribbed "Times New Roman" Candles

So I went to BBW today to take advantage of the now rare 2/24 sale; buy some stuff, exchamge some stuff, yada yada yada. I was feeling a little pessimistic about the new ribbed for your pleasure/Time News Roman 2.0 candles as they have been sporadically released all over the country; some stores said that they wouldn't have them til the start of SAS. So I was just looking around and lo and behold hidden away with the rest of the old ribbed for your pleasure candles were the news so I was finally able to get my sniff.


So I won't waste your time and mine to talk about Vanilla Beach Flower, Pineapple Palm Grass, Caribbean Escape and Tiki Beach as everyone should know what all of those smell like

Driftwood Surf - for those who don't remember, this one appeared in the Beach House Collection last summer. Just click the link and read my review from last year.

Sugared Citrus Sorbet - I was really and truly hoping that BBW finally brought back that old Slatkin classic Lemon Gelato but of course it's not. I also thought it might Raspberry Citrus Swirl aka Pink Lemonade Punch as that would the only logical scent to repackage but nope. It's new-ish but extremely familiar smelling...and doesn't smell at all like a sorbet. There's no iciness or creaminesss; all you get is a bright sparkling effervescent citrus blend with a hint of a vague berry blend. It's in the same family as Pomegranate Lemonade and Pink Sangria and extremely close Strawberry Mimosa. If you have any of those scents, there's is absolutely no need to pick SCS.

Berry Vanilla Cone..... sigh...I need to rant for a second

I am extremely leery and skeptical of scents that are over-hyped on social media. Every other picture on my IG newsfeed is of Berry Vanilla Cone with everyone and their grandma exclaiming how it is sooooo wonderful and amazing. Having sniffed it finally, I can say with no amount of uncertainty that is neither wonderful or amazing! I often find that these candles that seem to break the Internet ends up not living up to the hype which makes me wonder.... are all these people on the 'Gram buying this candle because they truly love it or are they buying because everyone else is buying it and they want to show off and fit in? I'm leaning towards the latter as too many individuals in the candle community are too quick to jump on the candlewagon. If you love a certain candle, that's great however if you're just following the next candle trend, I'm not here for that and I can not in good conscious take you or the candle in the question seriously. Ok, rant over, onto the review...

So I, like everyone else thought for sure that it would be a repackage of last Christmas's Berry Vanilla Bean... it makes sense and Lord knows it would make a better summer candle that Christmas/New Year's candle. Surprisingly it is not! Like its brethren SCS, it is  "new-ish" but extremely familiar smelling. It has notes that smell like other various scents. a veritable Frankenstein's Monster of candles. It has surprisingly accurate waffle cone note that smells extremely similar to Pecan Pumpkin Waffle; it also kinda smells like the crust note in Pumpkin Pie and Warm Apple Pie. The vanilla is faint and slightly Vanilla Bean-ish. It has dark berry blend similar to Berry Pumpkin Strudel....and like Berry Pumpkin Strudel, I pick up an apple note...which harkens back to the Warm Apple Pie reference. So basically...

Pecan Pecan Waffle + Warm Apple Pie + Vanilla Bean + Berry Pumpkin Strudel = Berry Vanilla Cone

I can see why this would popular; it's a scent that would certain make all of the bakery lovers cream their panties. But just because a scent is popular doesn't mean that it's actually good. In my most  humble opinion, BVC does NOT live up to or deserve the hype. That said, if you are interested in it, go into your store with no expectations. You may end up liking it but if your tastes are anything like mine, you'll leave it right on the shelf as I did.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles