THIS IS THE BOMB.COM: Winter Mint & Spruce and Hot Cocoa & Cream

I do realize it is super late to be reviewing these two as a) neither scent are available in stores and b)some folks aren't burning winter stuff anymore. However I really didn't start burning these two til very recently and this "better late than never" edition is for those folks who haven't gotten around to burning it yet



Products: candle
Area used in:  bathroom and occasionally living room
Time Period: December thru February

Description: Sugared Spruce, Crisp Winter Mint, Green Pine, Frosted Lavender

I won't go too much in depth as I've already written a cold sniff review

The performance for this badboi has been outstanding; tall dancing flames every burn and a deep and even pool. And as you can see from the picture, it is absolutely gorgeous to burn - ambience out the friggin wazoo! The wax melts into this brilliant teal/mint green/aquamarine color and the flames makes glitter on the label sparkle and shimmer - just gorgeous.

My only issue is the throw, it could stand to be a little stronger. This is definitely small room kind of scent, the throw would get lost in a big living room or master bedroom.

Warm throw-wise, you get more spearmint than anything else which gives the scent a fresh mentholy coolness. The lavender, albeit faint, follows after the spearmint which adds to the freshness. The spruce note is completely overpowered by the spearmint and lavender but there's just enough to remind you that this a wintry alpine scent. And there's something sweet in the background, almost fruity; I'm convinced that there is some kind of melon note thrown in there; I guess it's to replicate the wetness of snow on the spruce branches? Who knows.

At any rate, WM&S is of the most unique, gorgeous and sophisticated scents to come out of BBW in awhile. I wouldn't necessarily calk this a holiday scent but it is a good post-New Years January/February scent. I would also consider this to be an aromatherapy scent as all of the notes generate a sense of calm, peace, relaxation and serenity; that said, I loved burning this candle while I took a hot steaming bath, sooo relaxing. I do hope this comes back as a winter staple...and with wf bulbs next time but chances it won't be back cuz  the good new stuff never does. That said, I hope everyone has stocked...




Products: candle
Area used in:  living room
Time Period: January thru mid -February (weekend mornings)

Description: Decadent Milk Chocolate, Fresh Steamed Milk, Mini Marshmallow

I was NOT expecting to like this scent at all. By nature, I am easily turned off by things that are overly hyped. Furthermore, I just don't like the smell of chocolate in most home fragrance. However, I decided to take the plunge and get this candle anyway; I'm so glad I did as I found myself absolutely LOVING it.

I managed to grab the brown frosted version from the very beginning of this collection's release and I'm glad cuz, as you can see from the picture above, AMBIENCE CITY! The frosted version is sooo gorgeous to burn; very stupid on BBW's part to change to the regular glass.

The performance was a little iffy at first. The flames were a little stubby and the wax was slow to pool out. After the 2nd or 3rd burn, it somehow corrected itself; full plump mushroom tops (sometimes too plump as they snapped, crackled and popped sometimes), tall dancing flames and deep and even wax pools. The throw was just the kinda throw that I love - the "warm blanket" throw; not too strong, not too weak and just wraps around you like a warm blanket.

And now the scent. At first I was leaning towards not liking this scent. When I first burned it, my bf complained that he smelled something weird. After he said it, I noticed it too. On the first burn there is a weird almost salty, savory/umami like aroma like raw meat marinating in soy sauce. However after that initial first burn, that savory weirdness went away and it smelled closer to what the cold throw was like. There is a little saltiness but I find that in most chocolate scents. For the most part it smells like hot cocoa of the Swiss Miss and Abuelita variety but more like the powder as opposed to the actual hot drink. That said, the other notes smell dry as well; the "fresh steamed milk" (which normally smells sour in BBW's home fragrance but doesn't in this) smells more like milk powder and the mini marshmallows smell like the little dehydrated marshmallow pellets you find in Swiss Miss packets. But don't let that turn you off, it smells less gross than it sounds.

What I love about HC&C  is how nostalgic it is; it conjures up memories of being a kid and making hot cocoa on cold winter day - the scent makes you feel like a kid again. You can start burning this around Thanksgiving, thru Christmastime and straight thru the rest of winter. It's perfect for those cold winter mornings or afternoons on the weekends; it just makes you feel all warm and cozy. Hopefully this will come back as a winter/holiday staple but as BBW is always indifferent to popular scents, who knows if we'll ever see it again. Again, I hope everyone stocked up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles