HOT MESS AWARD: Oceanside

image source: Bath & Body Works
Product: candle & wallflower
Area used in: Bedroom
Time Period: returned to store

Description: A blend of sun-ripened citrus, juicy melon and refreshing ocean air brings you to a perfect day on the shore.
Poor Oceanside, poor POOR Oceanside! This scent just can not catch a break! Despite how much BBW fans strongly fervently vehemently dislike this scent, like a crazy ex, it keeps coming back and refuses to go away peacefully. Because I'm a sucker for the underdog, I really was rooting for ol Oceanside and tried my best take up for it. And now I feel like a fool for doin so!
I got this scent waaaayyy back in February. In EVERY review of Oceanside, pretty much EVERYONE compared it to another candle, Paris Daydream. People said that the two either smell alike or that Oceanside is a straight up knockoff or repackage of PD. So I got both of them at the same time to do a scent comparison. On cold throw, they smell nothing alike. In fact, I quite enjoyed the cold throw of Oceanside. To me, it smelled really refreshing; there's that fresh cool cucumber note (which is no longer listed the descriptions anymore) mimicking salty ocean air, juicy cantaloupe/honeydew and just a hint of citrus zest...nothing at alllll like PD. Fast forward to May...I was finally ready to light it and I was pretty excited. The excitement quickly became disappointment...it smelled EXACTLY like PD!!! I was sooo annoyed that I couldn't even think straight!
It hasn't been proven that Oceanside is a knockoff or repackage of PD. However there is noooo denying that the two smell too much alike. I don't know what BBW was thinking trying to promote this scent as ocean-ey; NOTHING about Oceanside/PD says "perfect day on the shore" "Sea Spray"..yes! "Seashore"..perhaps. Oceanside...no, not so much! Moreover I don't know how BBW managed to make one scent magically change into another; like I said before, the cold throw smells nothing like PD. But when you burn it, it's a totally different story! And the bulbs smelled funky! I quite liked the smell of the PD bulbs (more than the candle actually) but the Oceanside bulbs smell straight up weird. Frankly, I don't know what it smelled like.
My bf wanted to be patient and let it burn out. I just couldn't do it. I simply don't believe in spending money on anything that in the end you don't enjoy. Moreover, as the candle burned, it started making me nauseous to the point I needed to go outside for fresh air! Ain't nobody got time for dat!  Needless to say I brought that SOB back to the store and exchanged it for a lovely Villa Bergamot!

BBW, PLLLLEEEEAAASSSEEE retire this scent!!! Yall might like Oceanside/PD but the fans most certainly do not...and in the end the fans' opinions are more important as we're the ones buying yall's products. Bring back Sea Spray or Seashore in its place or invent a new scent that actually smells ocean-ey. If Yankee Candle can do it, I'm almost positive yall can!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles