BLAST FROM THE PAST: Snowed In (Winter 2012)



Products: candle and bulbs
Area used in:  living room
Time Period: December - New Years

Description: Spend the day indoors, away from the cold wind, decorating for the perfect holiday with the inspiring fragrance of fresh juniper, sugared sap and sage


*sigh

Well let's start from the beginning, shall we?

So last year, I spent the holidays overseas visiting my bf's family. So with preparing for the trip and doin last minute Christmas-y type stuff in town before we left, I honestly paid little to no attention to BBW stuff. It wasn't until after New Years during SAS that I learned about most of the new winter scents...which as all you know by that time, BBW has already started phasing out winter scent in their stores. One of the scents I found out about at the last minute was Snowed In. So my bf and I go to our fav store in town to check out the SAS sales. I look around and there were no Snowed In candles (or any winter scents except stank ass Winter Night) but there were wf bulbs out the friggin wazoo. So I bought some, I plugged em in at home and I fell in love with the scent. I made a vow that next year I was gonna get the candle.
http://realtalkaboutbbwcandles.blogspot.com/2013/05/bbw-spotlight-snowed-in.html

So fast forward to 2013...BBW releases their winter test scents...and no one mentions Snowed In. However I got an inside tip from a fellow BBW'er that there was indeed a SI candle. So I wait...and wait...and wait. Then the bulbs show up online and I'm thinkin "surely, the candle must be coming..surely!" So in anticipation, I buy some. Then Touchthefire posts a vid about failed test scents and what's smack dab in the middle? SNOWED IN!!!

So in utter desperation, I go on Evil-bay. No one has this year's version and but er'body and their grandma has last year's. I find one for 14.99 so I buy it. The seller put me thru so much rigmarole and after a week late, I finally received it.

And after all of this....I don't really like it!

Well first let's rap a taste about the performance. It's actually pretty perfect. The flames danced high from top to bottom and the wax pool remained consistently deep and even....oh about that...the wax pool is such an ugly color! Like Flannel, despite the wax blue-grey periwinkle like color, it melts into a weird reddish brown. I much prefer this year's plain cream white wax color. Anyhoo, lastly the throw on this bad boy is pretty strong; I've a decent sized living room and it managed to fill the whole joint. Now if only it was a scent I enjoyed more

About the scent. The cold throw is very lovely. Like Sweater Weather, you get a strong whiff of juniper which gives it a very fresh clean cooling vibe. And then the sugared sap note (whatever that is) makes it..well..sweet but not in a candy/bakery ooey gooey way. Everything was all to the good...until I lit it and the scent completely changed into something very weird and off.  Littleballadeer said this in her review (and a few others as well) and I didn't really know what she meant but now I do. After awhile, SI starts smelling oily! I dunno if there's something off about the wax ingredient wise or the type of wicks it has. 'm think it's whatever BBW uses for their "sage" note. I honestly can't really describe the scent other than oily. It's like opening one of those oil filled vitamin pills, like cod liver or something. It's so strange. It was so bad that it made me a little nauseous! Fortunately/Unfortunately this "oiliness" disappeared once the candle got past mid-range.

The bulbs on the other hand smell fabulous. No oiliness whatsoever! The scent is very "alpine" and "snowy" if that makes any sense. It's just fresh and clean and crisp. If snow had a smell, this is what I'd expect it to smell like. The scent just makes me think of walking out on a crisp chilly winter afternoon with snowflakes dancing in the breeze and looking out at the scenery and trees blanketed in snow. I have a Fresh Balsam wf bulb behind my tree; with that and the SI bulbs, my apartment smells like a friggin winter wonderland.

It really is a shame as well as a bewilderment that SI didn't go wide this year. BBW took care of the ugly wax color; it would've been nice to see if they fixed the oily sage note. And no one who fortunate to have gotten it from a test store really haven't said much about it. Oh well, I guess it'll remain a mystery. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles