THIS IS THE BOMB.COM: Pumpkin Clove



Products: candle & wf bulbs
Area used in: living room
Time Period: mid- October - Thanksgiving

Description:  Clove Buds, Ground Cinnamon, Pinch of Nutmeg, Fresh Pumpkin

I know it's super late to talk about this candle seeing as though it's not really available and my bad for not talking about this badboi sooner but I'd be remiss if I didn't a give a shoutout to what I consider one of the best new scents of the year, especially with Thanksgiving approaching soon heralding the unofficial end of fall.

I've spoken about this before, but me and pumpkin scents have never been the bestest of friends. While I'm certainly a bit more open-minded than I was a few years due to my run-in with Shit Cinnamon Poopkin, pumpkin scents still don't really excite me. When it comes to fall scents, gimme apple or cranberry; pumpkin I can take or leave with Pumpkin Carving/Patch, Pumpkin Pie and Porchside Pumpkin being the rare exceptions. When I first heard about Pumpkin Clove while it was testing, I really didn't know what to think; neither the name or notes drew me in. However those on social media who sniffed it gave it high praise. Furthermore, based on their description, it sounded like an actual pumpkin based scent as opposed to cinnamon masquerading as pumpkin AND it sounded...conceptual and not bakery/gourmand much like Pumpkin Carving and Porchside Pumpkin. When I finally did sniff it, something happened that hasn't happened in a really long time - I had a NOSEGASM! I genuinely absolutely wholeheartedly loved it!

Let's talk about the performance. Honestly, it's been pretty great! I heard some reports that the burns were a bit on the iffy side; if I hadn't had mine in a candle holder, I probably would've had the same issue. From beginning to end, there were consistent high flames and deep even pools. The throw was, as I like to call, a "warm blanket" throw - gently enveloping you with instant non-aggressive fragrance. That said, I would've liked the throw to be a bit more stronger as I did enjoy the fragrance blend although I could see how folks wouldn't be able to handle the spice notes if they were stronger. I had PC in my living room and the throw did fill the joint and lingered in the air for quite awhile.

And now the scent! This is one of those fragrances that are very simplistic note-wise and yet it somehow smells complex than what the description suggests. So unlike most "pumpkin" scents at BBW, this actually has a distinct pumpkin note, NOT just just cinnamon/pumpkin spice. That said, the pumpkin note does have a distinct bakery "pumpkin pie filling" quality to it, typical in home fragrance; actual unsweetened unspiced legit pumpkin/gourds notes wouldn't make for good home fragrance. So yeah, the pumpkin note itself kinda gives me a Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Gingerbread vibe. And you do get the typical fall spice blend - cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe a bit of allspice. And now, the clove. Considering the note is in the name, it is a major component in the blend. Clove is a pretty intense note and if heavy-handed, can make a fragrance (and food or beverage) very medicinal. Luckily that's not the case with this candle. The clove blends well the pumpkin and the fall spice blend; it adds a nice cozy warmth and pushes the scent out of Bakeryland and into Conceptualville.

I must say, I have really been enjoying this scent overall. It's one of the few scents this year that I've stocked up on; for me to gush over a scent and stock up means it must be damn good... and it is! It just so warm and cozy and inviting and despite not being the biggest fan of pumpkin based scents, I appreciate it's uniqueness and it being a conceptual scent with an actual pumpkin note. The one thing that bugs me is the marketing or rather the lack thereof. In between kowtowing and catering to the basics of 'murica, BBW every so often creates a new unique unrepackaged conceptual scent and they just don't know what to do with it - this scent, Vanilla Sage, Porchside Pumpkin, Cranberry Pumpkin, Peppered Plum, Black Tea Rose, They give it a basic generic unassuming name and just throw it unceremoniously into some random collection. Just "Pumpkin Clove"...boring! Why not Pumpkin Harvest or Pumpkin Market, a conceptual name for a conceptual scent. This could've easily worked in a Thanksgiving collection. I personally think his scent reminds me of a cozy autumn cabin; why not make an Upstate NY autumn cabin getaway for this to be in? This scent deserved more attention from its makers. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't let the name and notes dissuade me from giving it a try; as I said before, I think it's both the star of the collection it was in as well as one of the best new scents of the year. Hopefully, those of you reading this has already bought one or some to try. As is the case with almost all new unique unrepackaged scents, it most likely won't be back.

To all of my readers/followers, I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving! 

Comments

  1. Great review. I loved this one too! I also stocked up, but I hope they bring it back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles