WALK N SNIFF: Coast to Coast Collection

Well gang, since the start of SAS I have been to 3 BBWs and 3 WBs and have yet to see any Coast to Coast 3wicks despite it randomly popping in some stores across the nation. No one really knows what the deal is with this collection; wf bulbs popped online and should be in most stores yet the 3wicks are only making random appearances a few BBWs and WBs here and there. Also candles with clear tumblers and colored wax have been popping up so obviously there has been a re-pour. So has it failed and stores are getting the remaining leftover rejects? If that's the case, I think it's pretty shitty that it failed and the basic ass Times New Roman candles didn't! Or because there were re-pours, will we see them after SAS is over? Who the hell knows! I know one thing, I'm tired of the games and BS with BBW and testing/failing scents really needs to stop!

Anyway, one of my stores did at least have 1wick testers to sniff so I'd least a got a taste of what the new scents in this collection smell like

Coastal Jasmine - It looks as if jasmine is replacing gardenia as BBW's premier white floral scent du jour. I don't think "coastal" jasmine is actually a thing...unless they are referring to confederate jasmine which is popular in the South and can grow in seaside/coastal areas but let's be real I don't think BBW put that much thought into the name. Anyhoo, I'm about 85% positive that this is a repackage of Jasmine Water from the post winter SAS tropical collection; unfortunately the store didn't have any to compare so I'm only going by scent memory. There's really not much to say about it - it's a heady powdery slightly nectary jasmine note wrapped in music with a cooling ozonic watery note in the background. It's a cute scent if you like jasmine.

White Driftwood - So BBW seemed to really like this scent but really didn't know how to market it. It first appeared in the animal skin/zoo collection as "Wild Cedarwood" and then it appeared in the personalized greetings collection repackaged as "Happily Ever After ~ Blue Lily Water" And now it's back as "White Driftwood". There's really not much to say about this one either - it's a masculine woodsy repackage with a twist of Beach Cabana. Some exact notes from BC mixed with a soft dry cedar note and a hint of sea salt/sea air. It's a nice scent but not really necessary.

Seaside Mist - Like its brethren White Driftwood, this was also repackaged in the greetings collection as "XOXO" and was erroneously labeled as "Jungle Woods" online only to be changed a few weeks later as "Seaside Mist" The scent seemed to befuddle everyone, myself included. The notes sounded suspiciously like my bae Black Pepper Bergamot but it wasn't. Everyone all had the same thing to say about it - "it smells so familiar." Everybody was coming up with repackage hypotheses - Oceanside, Crisp Morning Air  , Blue Sandalwood and Sage...close but no cigar! It took 2 trips to BBW and a consultation with my candle buddies but I finally unlocked the mystery - Whitewater Rush.  It was part of a trio of men's bodycare (along with Mahogany Woods and Alpine Suede) winter 2014. Around the same time,  few stores got a limited supply of 3wicks    of them as well. Obviously this a cologney scent...GASP!!! It smells like a men's cologne of the fresh/watery/aquatic variety. The notes mention mandarin which I call BS on that; what I get instead is bergamot which a) is one of the top notes of WWR and b) it was probably changed because so many BBs complain about too much bergamot and that it smells cologney. It got some Mahogany Stankwood-esque woodsy action - some oak maybe, definitely cedarwood , again one of the top notes of WWR. I'm not sure about the lavender; like it's other cologney comrades Mahogany Stankwood, Villa Bergamot and Black Pepper Bergamot, the lavender note is way pushed down. I'm not 100% sold on this scent; even though I love cologney scents and watery/oceanic scents, SSM isn't a winner for me.

Beach Sage & Mist - When this collection first started testing, this was the scent that I was the most intrigued and knew I had to get my hands on. Fast forward to SAS and everyone and their grandma are posting pics of their BS&Ms that they randomly found in their stores which made me very jealous. After smelling the tester candle (and buying a few wf bulbs despite them not being $3), I decided somehow, come hell or high water, I'm gonna get this damn candle because it is LIFE!!! It is EVERYTHING! This is the of candle that I love - a strong herbal conceptual scent. So basically if you took Cucumber Melon and mixed it with Bergamot Mint    and a hint of Wild Sage & Aloe, that's basically BS&M. Also, think of this as a summery/beachy version of Winter Mint & Spruce; the two have a similar vibe and could totally be twins. You get a basenote of a sweet and watery cucumber/melon blend with a layer of cologney bergamot and melange of earthy sage, cool refreshing mint and some other unlisted herbal notes, possibly thyme (there was a Slatkin era failed test scent called Honeydew & Thyme, I wonder how close BS&M is to that) The mix of all of those random note sound bizarre together but trust me, they blend together perfectly! And does smell beachy (beach sage actually exists but I don't know how close this smells to the real thing). This scent is just great - it's calm, it's relaxing, it's guest friendly; it totally feels like your relaxing in your rented beach house with the ocean breeze on your face and listening to the waves crash.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles