BETTER LATE THAN NEVER: Key Lime Pie (2018)



Products: candle
Area used in: living room
Time Period: mid-July - September

I LOVE Key Lime Pie; it is by far one of my all time favorite desserts! Anything Key Lime Pie (or lime in general) related, I am absolutely all about it. Imagine my sheer and utter delight when, for the first time in BBW history, there was an actual Key Lime Pie candle in the newly revamped Sweet Shop collection during SAS. And you bet your ass that I bought myself.

The performance was kinda iffy. The flames never got particularly high; it sorta wavered between stubby and medium. Because of that, there were times when the wax didn't completely pool out and there lips of unmelted wax along the glass. However, all that stopped once the candle reached the mid-way point; from that point on, the flames remained medium height and the wax completely pooled out. Now I'm guessing because of the type of wicks there were and that flames were low, more soot managed into seep into the pool cuz it had one of the worst cases of dirty wax syndrome I've seen for a while.



However, putting up with the annoying lackluster burn was worth it because the throw was so strong! It's one of those candles that knocks you out with instant fragrance as soon you take off the lid...I love that! Once lit, it immediately filled my entire living room and lingers in the air for hours; sometimes I'd have to open the window cuz lingering smell was so strong.

And now the scent... as you may (or may not) know, years ago there was a failed test scent/WB exclusive called Tequila Lime Cupcake that would be repackaged the following year as..wait for it... Key Lime Pie. Those of us who remembered that from backintheday assumed this KLP was the same scent... it's not, it's a totally different and new blend. I would even go so far as to say that this version is better. However, much like TLC/KLP 1.0, the lime note is question. I've said it before, lime is a tricky note to use in home fragrance as it's so potent and sour. Despite "lime" being mentioned in the name and notes, you really didn't get actual lime. KLP is kinda the same way - it's vaguely lime-ish. The note I think BBW used to mimic lime is verbena; almost all of their verbena based candles has a distinct lemon-lime Fruity Pebbles/Trix cereal vibe to them and that's what I get with KLP. My guess would be verbena with perhaps some lemongrass and/or mandarin or pomelo. Whatever blend they're using to replicate lime comes off a little soapy. There's a sweet creamy vanillic note that gives the illusion of whipped airy meringue. And I don't know how they did it, you do get a genuine graham cracker crust. All in all, it smells pretty spot on and is one of the few candles that you can smell all that note description suggests.

I have to say that I am/have been really enjoying this candle; I daresay this might be one of my favorite new scents this year. And for me, the Bronzeblogger - leader of the anti-bakery brigade, to gush over this candle says a lot! And I'm glad I waited until summer to burn this badboi cuz, like the actual dessert itself, it just felt right having during summertime. Could the performance have been better? Absolutely! BUT the authenticity of the scent itself and throw strength made up for it.  It's strong without being headache inducing, sweet without being cloying or nauseating and tart without being nose-tingling. It's damn good candle and, in my most humble of opinion, the true star of the Sweet Shop 2.0 collection.

I do hope everyone has stocked up cuz I doubt very seriously that we'll see it anytime soon or ever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles