CANDLE SPOTLIGHT: Blueberry Maple Pancakes




Products: candle
Area used in: living room
Time Period: anytime, in the morning

Description: Wild Blueberries, Griddle Fresh Pancakes, Warm Maple Syrup

I just realized as I sat down to type this that I haven’t written an actual review of candle in ages!

So this candle is soooooooo out of my wheelhouse – as you already know I’m not a bakery fan, I’m not into maple/caramel/butterscotch scents and berry scents in home fragrance are always so hit or mess. Moreover, any scent that gets overhyped on social media makes me immediately suspicious and leery. However, in the spirit of being open-minded, I decided to give it a try and I have to say, I’m glad I did because I’m kinda digging it.

So the burn was less than stellar. The flames started off a little on the stubby side and it would take a few subsequent burns for the flames to act right and start dancing high. For the first 2 burns, it took FOREVER for the pool to finally pool out and there would still be a slight precipice of wax.




Eventually, the wicks auto-corrected themselves and the wax started pooling out evenly. The throw was medium-strong-ish; it had the kinda throw that I love – a “warm blanket” throw that doesn’t knock you out but rather envelops and hold you in a warm embrace of fragrance. And most maple/caramel/butterscotch scents tend to linger in the air for awhile and this one is no exception. Even with the window open, it took several hours for the remaining scent to dissipate after I blew the candle out.

Now let’s talk about the scent; it’s pretty straightforward and smell like what the name and notes suggest. It smells like pancakes with blueberries drizzled in maple syrup. I don’t know what exact notes where used, but you do get the illusion of hot, fresh of off the griddle buttermilk pancakes. The blueberry (and possible blackberry) note is on the cusp of smelling artificial. It doesn’t really smell like freshly picked berries plopped in the batter but rather cooked berries in sugar on the verge of syrup (it kinda reminds me of the blueberry pancake syrup at IHOP that I love). And while the maple note is slight if not non-existent on cold sniff, it is very present and intense when you burn it.

Now, the million-dollar question – is it the infamous Blueberry Pumpkin Patch?

No…but yes

It is certainly NOT an exact straightup dupe. The original BPP didn’t have any semblance of maple in it. Also, the berry note smelled a bit more dried (like blueberries in granola or instant oatmeal) whereas in BMP, the berry is sweeter and more vibrant…though that could just be a matter of replicating an old scent formula with newer but downgraded fragrance oils.

However, I do believe BMP might a repackage with a twist – an existing scent with added notes and marketed as an entirely new scent. Here’s why I think it is…

Sometimes with BBW, their “pumpkin” scents come across more bakery smelling; that certainly was the case with BPP – it smelled less like blueberries mixed with pumpkin and mo like blueberry cereal or a blueberry muffin. And there have been cases where a "pumpkin" scent was suspiciously remarketed as a bakery scent

Pumpkin Caramel Latte eventually became Maple Cinnamon Pancakes
Cranberry Pumpkin eventually became Cranberry Sugar Cookie

I believe that may be the case with BMP

Also isn't it a little odd this candle is in the Pumpkin Patch collection? There's no mention of pumpkin in the name or in the notes yet it's in collection with all other pumpkin scents. Coincidence? I think its placement in this collection is a sly wink and nod by BBW's marketing team at BMP's origins.

Regardless of BMP is or isn't, it's still a pretty good scent and I actually like it. I must admit, I did initially misjudged it and stuck my nose up at it. I love when I find a scent that I didn't really give much thought to but ended up being totally surprised by it. Now is it worth of all the social media hype? Is this candle worth being 10-20 of them at all? Eh, not really. Maybe get about 5 at the most and you'll be aiight. Honestly, as much I have been enjoying this is scent, I'm perfectly content with the 1. It's a nice scent to burn in the morning, especially on the weekends. I would consider it to be a guest-friendly scent; I can't see anyone being overwhelmed by it or finding it gross. If, like me, you're anti-bakery or anti-pumpkin or anti-maple and you're feeling a little leery or skeptical, trust me - it's worth giving it a try!

Comments

  1. Great review! I bought one but haven't burned it yet - I will admit I've been a bit leery because of the maple note (More than usual lately, because my summer roommate burned Whiskey Butterscotch in her room ALL SUMMER, and even though she moved out a month ago, it STILL smells like maple syrup in that room. Ugh.) But I do like BMP on cold and your review makes me want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can not keep this scent in stock at my store. On cold I don't love it. But last week I bought one just to see what the hype is all about and I'm curious to smell it burning. Nice review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the last on we had in our district, as amazing as it smells it is also VERY strong. I can't burn it very long. BUT I will tell you this PUMPKIN VANILLA it's in the essential line it's a white candle with a black lid is the best candle I have bought so far this Fall! It's strong but not over powering it's sweet with a Light spice absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY LAST POST: End of an Era

CANDLE RETROSPECTIVE: Brozeblogger's Top 20 Candles OF ALL TIME

NEWNESS UPDATE: Spring 2021 Candles